With this in mind I actively engage with community experts to challenge and inspire my students to achieve the best they possibly can. The evidence below demonstrates how I have engaged the local Museum staff to collaborate with students through a local design competition.
The need for the students to be challenged and extended to achieve excellence was driven by my hunch that they still had more to offer that they were in class. These boys were achieving well but I thought that they could go even further. This, coupled with their competitive spirits and creativity through practical experiences was a perfect fit for this particular competition.
By drawing in an expert from our community I gave the students a chance to engage and relate to others in a positive manner.
Key outcomes:
- Students engaged with the design process (Technology strand of the New Zealand curriculum, Level 3, Technological practice).
- Develop positive relationships with other significant adults.
- Develop mana in young boys at school (some of whom are priority students).
- Students worked as a team and developed problem solving and team work strategies (Key competency - relating to others).
![]() |
| Proud students who experienced success in a community run competition. |
![]() |
| Notification from the Museum Education Manager of the group's win. |


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment, I'll moderate it before it's published.