Sunday, July 9, 2017

D2 Leadership Professional Learning

Over recent times I have deliberately sought out leadership professional learning opportunities. I have done this so I can be more strategic when planning professional learning for staff at my own school. I feel that if I have a better overview of leadership theory and styles then I can be best informed to lead positive change at our school.

Below are the key leadership courses that I have undertaken recently:

Learning to Grow. Ongoing throughout 2017

Building capabilities for school leaders to help increase impact, influence and build robust relationships. (Academy for Collaborative futures)

I have worked collaboratively with a group of teachers from across Rotorua to complete this course over a number of full day sessions. This programme has challenged me to think internally before making decisions that will impact my students and colleagues. I feel I am better equipped to make decisions with a view to future ramifications rather than simply making short term decisions.

Learner agency and Peer Coaching 2016-2017

This professional learning involves working closely with a local Educational agency Nga Pumanawa E Waru to improve learning outcomes for all learners through improved teacher pedagogy. I have engaged in leadership mentoring and in the areas of peer coaching, Learner Agency and future focused learning. This learning is ongoing and continues to help me develop as a leader.


Postgraduate certificate in Digital and Collaborative Teaching. November 2015-July 2016

This 32 week postgraduate study was made up of online study with 16 weekly four hour onsite workshops. This study included a component about leadership which was linked to the theories and styles of leadership. It also helped me develop a deeper understanding of how digital and collaborative teaching can lead to better learning for all learners.

Managing Change. August 2015

Understanding change, especially in relation to the evolving landscape of Education. Based on theories of change and linked to relevant change models.

This learning helped me understand the stresses that change puts on people and therefore I can plan for change in my class and school with an understanding of the impact these changes might have. I particularly enjoyed learning about the forms of resistance to change. This has helped me mitigate these resistors in the classroom when helping students learn.

Key outcomes:

  • I am more strategic in planning for change and new learning with staff and students at school.
  • I am aware of the resistors to change and can help students and teachers manages these.
  • Making use of different leadership styles when they are required.
  • Being aware of the long view, understanding that decisions that I make today could well impact my fellow staff, students and school for many years to come. 
  • Building positive relationships is a key in any environment. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, I'll moderate it before it's published.