As Ka Hikitia states in it's fourth principle and the first focus area, "Maori identity, language and culture acknowledges and validates Maori students as Maori" (Ka Hikitia - Accelerating Success, p. 17). I acknowledge this and see it as my responsibility to facilitate and actively engage in the learning of Te Reo in my class.
 |
| Ka Hikitia - Accelerating Success 2013 - 2017 |
 |
| Ka Hikitia - Accelerating Success 2013 - 2017 |
The New Zealand curriculum principles clearly state that all students will have the opportunity to learn Te Reo.
Below is an example of how I plan for Te Reo to be embedded into my class lessons every week. I introduce the focus for the week and then we revisit it many times throughout the week to learn the language in the context of the classroom. By using the language meaningfully the students can practice in real contexts and associate meaning to it.
 |
| A screen shot from my weekly plan. |
Below is a screenshot of the language that was being taught during this particular week.
Another real context where I facilitated my students learning and using Te Reo was during our Marae stay. Because we were immersed in Te Reo and surrounded by experts I saw a real improvement in the student's spoken Te Reo and understanding. Many of these new words were then heard back at school after the Marae stay had ended.
 |
| Learning to weave and speak Te Reo in the wharenui. |
Below is an example of the links that were made to writing through the learning of Te reo. We wrote narratives based on what we had heard in the wharenui with the goal of entertaining and sharing a myth. Students were encouraged to use some of the Te Reo that they had learned on camp.
 |
| A students myth that blended narrative writing and Te Reo. |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment, I'll moderate it before it's published.